SPARK3D is a unique simulation tool capable to determine the Breakdown power level in a wide variety of passive devices. By importing the Electromagnetic field from some of the most well-known EM commercial solvers, SPARK3D is able to analyse vacuum breakdown (multipactor) and gas discharge. As outcome, the maximum power that the device can handle without developing a discharge is provided.
Thanks to its coupling to commercial tools, it is highly flexible and versatile allowing the analysis of any type of components based on a wide range of technologies such as cavities, waveguides, microstrip, antenna, etc. Moreover SPARK3D can be easily extended to be used by other software tools.
SPARK3D is a module of FEST3D that can be also acquired as an stand-alone program.
SPARK3D has several features in order to better analyse high power effects in devices:
- Imports ANSYS® HFSS™
EM fields to perform high power simulations.
- Imports CST 2012 Microwave Studio®
to perform high power simulations.
- Imports FEKO 6.2
to perform high power simulations.
- Imported EM fields can be visualized.
- Analysis boxes can be defined in order to choose the critical regions to be analysed.
- CAD-like and intuitive graphical interface to the user. The user can easily import the EM field,
launch the 3D CAD viewer,run different type of simulations, etc.
- Real-time output interface with rich simulation data, in table, plot and 3D view forms, for each particular region.
- Compare regions feature allows for easily visualizing the results of all analysis regions at a time.
What's new version 1.3
- New import of FEKO 6.2 field format.
- Multipactor: Improved electron path integration method (with adaptive step refinement).
- Multipactor: Improved custom SEY modeling
- Multipacotr: Ability to plot SEY curves
- Ability to export results to ASCII files
- Ability to export graphs as image
|Videos computed with SPARK3D
|Corona simulation video
||Multipactor simulation video
- High power prediction simulations can be performed in a wide range of components based on different technologies.
- It is possible to compare the breakdown onset obtained using EM fields calculated from different EM simulators.
- In complex devices, the simulation can be performed in the zones defined by the user, speeding up the simulation.
SPARK3D performs multipactor simulations on the designs imported from EM commercial solvers.
The specific features for Multipactor calculation include:
- Electron tracker
- Automatic breakdown onset search
- Custom SEY curve import
- Optional external DC magnetic field
Dielectric-loaded cavity resonator at 2.335 GHz (courtesy of Thales Alenia Space Spain).
The breakdown onset is calculated using SPARK3D combined with ANSYS® HFSS™ EM fields.
|Multipactor breakdown onset computed with SPARK3D
Simulated breakdown power (mW)
Measured breakdown power (mW)
SPARK3D computes the Gas discharge (Corona) breakdown for the structures imported from external EM-solvers.
The specific features for Gas discharge calculation include:
- Automatic breakdown onset
- Representation of Paschen curves
- Modelling with different filling gases
- Breakdown calculation at ambient pressure
Microstrip line connected to a TNC pin with a metallic ribbon and a SMA connector touching the strip.
The breakdown onset is calculated at 1.5 GHz using SPARK3D combined with ANSYS® HFSS™ EM fields.
|Gas (air) discharge breakdown onset @3mBar computed with SPARK3D
Simulated breakdown power (W)
Measured breakdown power (W)